Sunday, December 9, 2007

The new (but not improved) Tannery Boutique

The other night, I visited the new Tannery Boutique on 39 Brattle St. in Harvard Square, Cambridge. The first store (which is underground below the GAP also on Brattle Street) has a relaxed/sporty atmosphere and very helpful employees. I expected a similar vibe or at least the same level of comfort from this new boutique only a few steps away. . . However, I was rudely surprised from the moment the big glass doors swung closed behind me. A saleswoman rushed up to me immediately asking if I needed anything - but she did not ask with genuine concern but rather with an annoyed and blank expression and voice. I wasn't necessarily offended because I expect a certain standoffish-ness at such places, but even after I (politely) told her I was just browsing, she followed my every move about two feet behind me and asked probably three more times if I needed help. Besides her almost suffocating closeness (which seems difficult to achieve in such a bare, wide room), she had to adjust every single item of clothing that I touched or pulled off the rack to look at which made me feel as if I shouldn't even be looking at the clothing! Enough of my ranting about the service.
The "look" of the boutique is fine, but maybe even a bit too large and bare (could be accounted for because the store just recently opened). Shoes congregate in the middle of the floor with the women's clothing bordering the left side and men's clothing on the right. The shoes seemed very ugly to be honest - I was looking for a basic black boot to wear over jeans and do not recall seeing any style that was remotely feminine or attractive, yet the costs of all the shoes was ridiculous. Perhaps they are extremely well-made, but if they are not appealing, I will not wear them. While I looked through the racks of women's clothing, I expected to see high-quality (defined for me as pure fabrics with good stitching and a slightly durable feel), interesting clothing that would be different from the flagship store as well as other boutiques in the area. Instead, the clothing lacked shape, color, and texture. Everything I touched felt thin and very temporary - too trendy to last past the new year even. I don't see a reason why a savvy Bostonian should choose this clothing, all priced far too high, from that of the lower quality, but equally lower priced clothing of H&M, for example.
Another "attribute" that did not contribute at all to the Tannery was their choice of (and I can't even call it this) music. In fact, the sound coming out of overly loud speakers was Justin Timberlake's voice talking about an upcoming movie he will be in. This noise was distracting when I just wanted to look peacefully at upcoming winter styles and not hear the whine of a former N*SYNC band member. To say the least, I was not inspired to buy anything. Maybe I will try going back again in a few weeks to see if they have updated their acoustics and options of product selection. Boston College students - you are better off shopping at the Chestnut Hill Mall or nearby Newbury Street.

- Meg K.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insights, I'm surprised you want to even return and give them a second chance!

Anonymous said...

Im suprised your even giving comments about style!